I’ll confess that a large part of my decision to start blogging about my experiences was inspired by the one and only Mr. Money Moustache (MMM). His blog, along with Jacob from Early Retirement Extreme (ERE), jlcollinsnh, and the Mad FIentist have taught me much of what I know about pursuing Financial Independence (FI). This state is also sometimes called Financially Independent Retired Early (FIRE). Below, you’ll find a summary of some of my favorite articles by these authors.
- We start with a reference to the granddaddy article to rule them all. Many FIRE worshipers consult this MMM article for solace: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/
- I’m not sure which ERE article to reference, but have fun checking out his site. Many people find his approach a bit too extreme, but I think that its good to be aware of the lower end of the living expenses spectrum: http://earlyretirementextreme.com/manifesto.html
- JLCollins is famous in the FIRE circle for his series of articles on the stock market and investing. If you don’t know a thing about investing, and even if you think you do, I’d encourage you to check it out: http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/
- My favorite Mad FIentist article where he explains the true way to use a Health Savings Account: http://www.madfientist.com/hsa/
- I suppose that I’ve also read a few posts by the Root of Good. This article was my favorite where he demonstrated “Houdini-like usage of tax-defying strategies” : http://rootofgood.com/make-six-figure-income-pay-no-tax/
Finally let me mention reddit. I started by browsing /r/personalfinance/. This community is great at discussing the basics of money management. However, when I discovered /r/financialindependence/ I decided that they weren’t hardcore enough. The financial independence subreddit taught me the basic FI mindset and led me to MMM and ERE. This is a great place to go if you have questions.
If you are curious about inflation. This video by Mike Maloney is a must watch. The whole 5 part series on the secrets of money is good if you have the time. He tries to sell you on the concept of owning gold, but aside from that, the video above is great.